Sunday, January 28, 2007

Keningau

Sunday, 14 January 2007

Beautiful Sunday! It was sunny and the morning market was bustling with people selling and buying products, ranging from wild meat to cosmetic jewelleries, laid out either on tables or the ground.
-
Keningau is purportedly the oldest and the largest district in the interior part of the state of Sabah, Malaysia, known for its kayu manis (direct translation into English - sweet wood - I wonder why it is called sweet wood - does it taste sweet?). If I am not wrong, kayu manis is teakwood.

I thought a friend told me that it is illegal to hunt deer. Maybe I heard the wrong thing. Anyway, deer meat was openly sold here.


Next to the deer stall was the wild pig meat.


Plenty of choices and a good exercise of walking, under the big shady trees.


Anyone interested to buy small pitcher plants that you could watch grow at your own garden? This vendor sell pumpkin and bamboo shoots also.


Your hair needed to be bundled up, go to the opposite vendor, maybe you could something there.


You know this purple fruit (vegetable)! I don't cook this anymore because mum said it is not good for my eyes! But I eat some at the restaurants! Technical name for it is Aubergine - this is native in India. A common food in China as long ago as 600 BC, it was called the Malayan purple. The English called it eggplant. My cooking class in secondary school called it brinjal.


And tomatoes.

2 comments:

SabahOnline said...

I just wonder if Kayu Manis is widely planted in Keningau now?

Irene said...

I don't know whether it is widely planted in Keningau now. My friend who goes there often said that it is grown there.