Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Dedication of the Kota Kinabalu Chapel

Sunday, 16 April 2006
The dedication of the new Kota Kinabalu Chapel is here at last. Exactly 3 years after the groundbreaking ceremony (Wednesday, 16 April 2003). And 11 years after the gospel was brought to Kota Kinabalu - 15 June 1995.

Early this year, I told myself that I might not be able to attend due to personal/family commitments. I didn't have the strong will that I would attend. It was not a priority in my plans. But after experiencing the dedication of the Miri chapel that I currently attend, I decided I want to. I will fly to Kota Kinabalu, even if I am in Kuala Lumpur. I would fly in just for that. This is a special and important occasion and a chapel is only dedicated once.

I was baptised on the 9 May 1998 in the Miri branch, moved to Kota Kinabalu on the 22 December 1999 and stayed there until I moved back to Miri on the 1 February 2005. I have attended meetings in the first meetinghouse in Likas. I have attended meetings in the second meetinghouse in Luyang. I have been the 1st Counselor and the President in the Relief Society. I have taught the gospel doctrine class. I have known, visited and love the Sisters in the Kota Kinabalu branch. They have been my family, pillar of strength. They were available when I needed them. Kota Kinabalu branch will always be a special part of me.

I was supposed to return to Miri on the 7 April (came here to see the friends that I have taught dancing) but when I heard that the dedication will definitely be on the 16 April, I decided to change my ticket, even though it means I have to stay a week longer, to pay for the change of the ticket, whatsoever. But it was worth it, over and over again. I will not trade anything for it.

Brother David presented a piano musical "Because I Have Been Given Much" (by David Glen Hatch) - I always enjoy hearing him play. I love it.

The Kota Kinabalu Branch Choir presented a special musical "As Sisters in Zion & We'll Bring the World His Truth" (by Janice Kapp Perry & Michael Hicks). I had the opportunity to hear and learnt of this hymn, taught by Sister Telford, while I was still in Kota Kinabalu. I love this hymn. I had the opportunity to join the Kuala Lumpur Branch Choir in presenting it in one of their Sacrament meeting in 2005. Now in Kota Kinabalu, back to when I first learnt. Heavenly Father knows that I love this song very much. And I am so happy that I had the blessing of joining the Kota Kinabalu Branch Choir as well in presenting this number today. I am pleased with myself that I don't cry when I sing in front of the congregation as I cried whenever I sang "Sisters in Zion" at Relief Society classes. Gosh! I am always crying!

I am thankful to Heavenly Father for all the blessings that He have given me, and this opportunity to be able to be here on this occasion, to witness the dedication, to hear the dedicatory prayer that Singapore Mission President Larkins offered, to feel the love that Heavenly Father has for all of us, regardless whether we are members of the Kota Kinabalu branch, Miri branch, Kuala Lumpur branch, etc, regardless of our creed, nationality, race, etc. We are all one in Him. The Spirit reconfirms to me that this is the Lord's true church.

The Kota Kinabalu Saints with Singapore Mission President/Sister Larkins. They are leaving for home, in July, and we are going to miss them too.

The Saints at the dedication! (Picture by P/Jacobs) This is a better picture than the one I posted before! I am not in the picture.

Former KK District Mission President Jacobs (centre) who has flown all the way from Salt Lake City to be with us on this occasion, Present Outgoing KK District Mission President/Sister Telford (right) and Present Incoming KK President/Sister Recht (left)

President/Sister Telford and President/Sister Recht

President/Sister Telford, Sister Mary Anne and Sister Heather.

President Jacobs and me. I wish Sister Jacobs have been here also. So glad to see President Jacobs and have been here with us.

I am going to miss both of you, President/Sister Telford. I only been with you from August 2004 to January 2005 and since then communicating with both of you via the email and the telephone, but you guys are just great, like all other missionary couples that I have met. Thank you for all you have done for us.

President/Sister Recht, who just arrived on Friday, from US. Welcome to the Land under the Wind. You will love the people here.

Sister Annie (the Relief Society President) with 3 of her 4 stripling warriors: Brother Eddy, Edre and Edny. Her eldest son, Eder, is currently serving a mission in Sibu, Sarawak.

Sister Agnes and her daughter (Christine) and son (Christian).

Sister Helen and her family: Brother Liew, Richard & David and Sister Elizabeth

Sister Margaret (Gospel Doctrine Teacher) and her youngest son, Brother Ian.

Sister Karen (Relief Society Teacher) and her daughter, Sister Nicole, who was baptised on the 1st April 2006. That is Elder Blackburn at the back!

Sister Kate (Primary President), Irene and Marylou.

1 comment:

Singapore Girl said...

Irene,

Thanks again for keeping these precious records.

Indeed, we are all God's children no matter where or who we are!